obligatory about me page (redux)

spinning

Hi there.

My name is Mona. I am 24 years old, but you wouldn’t know that because I read at the level of a 25-year-old.

I live in Seattle with my son Nathan and husband Mike. I tell people that I moved to Seattle from Saipan because I wanted to go to college, which is only partially true. The real reason is that ever since I watched Sleepless in Seattle, I wanted to move to a magical city that could bring the forces of Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks together.

“Kirida” is word in my native language, Chamorro, meaning “favorite girl.” It is often applied to the youngest girl of the family and (spoiler alert!) that’s me. Unfortunately, it’s very confusing to most mainlanders, especially those who say, “kirinda” or “kerida” or “kilililili.”

“Hello Insomnia” is a title I chose when I truly thought I was going through insomnia but really, I was just addicted to sending emails at 3 AM. And now, I don’t know if I have insomnia, or am just unable to sleep when my toddler decides to suffocate me with his butt.

we be clubbing

My husband is 27 years older than I am and if there’s one thing to learn about shacking up with an older man it’s this: men rarely have their shit together at ANY AGE. But I love my man and would do anything for him, like bring him his joint medication or slap on a fresh pair of Depends.

a face only a son could love

My son Nathan was born in May 2006. I really had him so I could have someone my age to play with.

I take pictures with a Canon EOS 30D, but don’t ask me how it works. Thanks to my friend Branan, I know that when I’m stumped for technical jargon, it’s easiest to describe things in terms of magic so here goes: when I push the button, a portal opens up that leads me past the Towers to the gates of Mordor.

Miscellany:

I like driving with bare feet.

I have birthmark on my right arm. It is in the shape of Greenland. It also has a mole on it, which I’ve called the “YOU ARE HERE” mark.

I used to think that I had really hip music tastes until I found out that my favorites were also on the soundtrack for One Tree Hill.

I have lived in only three places in my life–Saipan, Salem and Seattle. I would like to live in Portland, but since it doesn’t begin with an “s,” that’s not going to happen. Maybe one day it’ll be called Sortland and my dream will come true.

I like people who aren’t afraid to swear, admit their love for Target or watch bad television.

You can find a previous version of this page here. I can be contacted at mona AT kirida.com. You can also leave comments because that’s what’ll bring us closer together, my internet friend.

Comments

Can you actually reach your bare feet up on the steering wheel? My god you’re flexible!

Even though I’m 15 years older than you, I enjoy your blog because we have so many musical/movie/80s references the same and I can’t figure out how you could have them when you weren’t born yet. Just kidding. I know you were born. šŸ™‚

2. rasputina1 (Rachel) says:

Mona, you can move to Shreveport and I’d drink at the park with you!

3. hello insomnia says:

grrltraveler: I am very talented. It is such a burden.

rachel: it’s on!

4. I think the ‘depends’ bit is very romantic.

5. hello insomnia says:

lex: my husband is a very lucky man.

6. I love Target, especially the dollar aisle. I am the oldest child of the oldest child, but I think i’m still the kirida. I linked to you, and have been secretly hoping you’d link to me.

7. That’s awesome! I wish all bloggers did a post like this.
    You could also move to Saskatchewan. Or Sarnia.
    And I am ten years older than you! I am SOOOOOO old!

8. i love this brief bio of you and your family. i love your sense of humor, mona. i need some motivation to bring my blog back up. i never updated, that’s why i closed it šŸ™

9. this is why we’d get along swimmingly in real life…i swear, i love target and watch shitty tv
    šŸ™‚

GREAT post!

10. FunnyGal KAT says:

I have a birthmark too! But, alas, it doesn’t look like anything other than a circle. And I don’t know any circular countries.

I admire your writing and your sense of humor, but it’s my envy for your Greenland-shaped birthmark that will keep me coming back!

11. la vie joie says:

Love your obligatory about me page. šŸ™‚
    Hope you have an exciting weekend ahead! Mine is filled with cleaning, walking, partying and maybe fit in some sleep.

12. The name's Anais. says:

Mona, you make me laugh. Also, Nathan is quite adorable.

13. First, you are way to pretty to be allowed to post pictures of yourself. I’m serious.

Second, Sandpoint, Idaho starts with an S. If you move here we could hang out and have play dates and most importantly, drive around barefoot.

Third, your son is so precious that I’m going to gobble him up. You need to hide him from me before I make the 5 hour drive to devour him.

That is all.

14. too too too too pretty.

yes i can psell.

15. I’m glad you posted this. I feel like I’ve been here since the beginning, now.

16. Butrfly4404 says:

LOVE it.

And hell yeah! I love to go fuckin shopping at Target right before watching bad TV (Do you consider infomercials bad tv?). And I fuckin LOVE unneccesary swearing. šŸ™‚

17. Filtering Life says:

You know this is the first time I have seen a picture of you…you are so pretty! I say that in a non-creepy way. Your birthmark sounds hilarious. You need to get a tattoo that actually says You are here next to the mole. Are we going to get a picture of said birthmark? My husband was born in Salem….I’m just sayin. Target…oh swoon…they take half my husbands paycheck a month…god bless them and their freaking great sales and cute color schemes.

18. Jonathon Morgan says:

From your fellow 24-year-old: word. All my child-bearing friends are like 35. I almost certainly have more in common with my 3-year-old.

You rock.

19. PerSonally, I think SEVERYWHERE Should begin with an S, then you can think of other reaSonS to eliminate poSSibilitieS.
    Like, who wouldn’t want to live in Sew (pronounced SOO) York. Or Schicago. I, in fact, did live there; it was Swell. Try Sos AngeleS (Saucy!), or what about YES, Siladelphia, known for unmitigated giggling.. Want to travel further afield?
    Try Sopenhagen, I’ve heard it’s really clean there.
    Best,
    sarah

20. It was fun meeting you on Friday. I’m going to have to add your blog to my list of blogs to read/reasons why I never accomplish anything anymore šŸ™‚

21. Anonymous says:

Hi Mona. Adorable baby and can’t blame you for going after an older man. Mine’s younger, but I think I’ve trained him well! *wink* Anyhow, what is your maiden name? (very curious)