Halloween: 1, Mona: 0

Last year we skipped Halloween festivities because Nathan was sick. This year, we headed out to nearby shopping center called Westwood Village with our friends Lisa, Branan and Cooper. We weaved through the crowds and followed the throngs of ninjas, robots, pumpkins and spidermen. There were kids there, too, but I couldn’t see them, except for the ones who yelled, “CAN WE GO TO THE RICH NEIGHBORHOOD NOW?”

It was kind of awkward because Nathan was in his stroller the whole time and could not care less that we ferried him from store to store. On top of his obvious ennui, I had to hold the bag out while employees dropped in one dum dum. Then to prove that the candy wasn’t really for me, I would shake the bag at Nathan, yelling, “Yay! You got candy, Nathan! Yay!” But Nathan could see right through this charade because dum dums are the cheapest candy around and every time they’d drop one of these pathetic little sticks, he’d look at me like, “You gotta be kidding me with that crap! They charge how much for a cardigan sweater set and they’re giving us this?”

Nathan the chicken

We walked through Sleep Country and Mike yelled out, “Free futon with all candy!” and the employee retorted, “Free futon with every $500 candy purchase!”

Your mother did this to you

When we waded through Dress Barn, Mike stopped by the mirror to tell Nathan, “Just so you know, your mother did this to you.”

This is my first post as part of NaBloPoMo. I can never spell that correctly. I want to put Mofo somewhere, because in my world, you can expect a mofo around, right?

Comments

1. Not The Mama says:

Aww, he is so cute, even if he wasn’t terribly excited about trick or treating. I don’t blame him — dum dums are a bummer.

2. People really trick or treat in the mall?!?

That might explain why there we no kids around to appreciate all the cool stuff my neighbours did. 🙁

3. You have to admit that even the chicken has kind of a “what-EV” look on its face.

But Nathan? Candy-worthy any day of the week.

4. anne at annenahm.com says:

He is so cute! Congrats on starting NaNoBloMo! I prefer to take my cornholing in one twenty-four hour period if I ever get the choice. But I applaud those of you spreading it out across a whole month. Huzzah!

5. Oh Dress Barn. Really classes up Westwood. Also, cute chicken.

6. Oh Nathan looks so, so cute! I love that costume.

Mofos do seem ever-present.

Good luck with NaMofo. 😀 Is there some kind of prize? Just a sense of accomplishment? Oh.

Nah, really, I wish I could give it a shot.

Nathan looks adorable as always. But I have to know…how do you choose just a regular costume when he has all those awesomely awesome disguises at home??

DumDums suck pretty bad. I was happy to get a bag with Warheads, Lemonheads, Laffy Taffy and a bunch of other cool old candy in it.

8. I am disappointed he didn’t go as Juan Soprano, but the chicken outfit is very cute too.

Nathan looks adorable. We went to the mall here, too, and it made me feel like America is entering into a recession. Only about 1 store out of every 5 was giving candy and they were really stingy with it. We left and went to “wildwood” the local “rich neighborhood” and at the first house, they gave Maddie a little baggie filled with assorted chocolates and miniature candy bars. Maddie said, “now that’s what I’m talking about!”

Our mall started a trick-or-treat thing…but they give out Snickers in our neighborhood, and my niece won’t eat her candy…and I’m forced to do it for her…so I have a big say on where we’re going to get the mofo goods…

11. Melinda Zook says:

Adorable. He still looked like he had a good time. My kids though, love dum dums…they are truly addicted; they almost pass it up over the chocolate. I don’t know how I got so lucky.

That is TOO cute. It’s been so long since I’ve been trick or treating that I don’t know where people go anymore!