Thomas the Train is very depressing and other transporation issues

Yesterday was my day off and I had planned activities for Nathan such as roaming aimlessly through the Target aisles and heading to the neighborhood tavern for a jack and coke. Don’t roll your eyes! I wouldn’t take my precious baby into that kind of establishment. I’d leave Nathan in the car with the engine running, of course! It’s only humane!

Only I went to my car and tried to turn it on, but the engine didn’t turn over. That’s as far as my auto-lingo goes, folks. It made some stirring noises, but there was no rush of the engine that signaled, “Sorry about that scare, Mona, I got a little wasted last night, but I’m okay now.” Why is it that the trouble with my car is inversely proportional to my knowledge of how to fix it?

I’m stuck with what the problem could be like it could be the battery that hasn’t been switched out since I got the car six years ago or the oil change I haven’t had in six months or it could be the universe telling me I’m not supposed to be behind the wheel.

So instead of executing my fantasies of price-checking random items at Target, Nathan and I stayed home. The kid slept for five hours straight and I indulged myself on Anthony Bourdain re-runs. I did catch about five minutes of Thomas the Train and boy, is that show depressing. It’s not enough to have freaky faces run rampant, but that Sir Topham Hatt micromanages those trains. No wonder they constantly complain. I’d be pretty pissed if I were pushed around by a boss named “Fat Controller.”

So I guess I have to get my car towed to the nearest mechanic seeing as there are two adults in this house but only enough car genius between the two of us to know that when the “check engine” light goes on, you pop up the hood and announce, “ENGINE? CHECK!”

Comments

1. skiplovey says:

All you need to know about cars is where to find a good mechanic. Seriously cars are complicated these days, even if you knew what was wrong you couldn’t fix it. Leave that to the pros, and have yourself a cocktail while you’re waiting.

2. Oh that sucks! I agree with previous commenter.

3. Sorry about the car. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

4. Mrs. Blogoway says:

Wish I lived closer, I would give you a ride to Target and we could spend hours comparison shopping and then filling out the surveys about our experiences in Target.

P.S. I actually won one time and got a $100 gift card.

5. I tagged you to write 20 oldest memories of Saipan..check out my blog šŸ™‚

6. Car trouble is THE WORST! If you don’t already have a mechanic you like, Foreign Car Workshop is the best- inexpensive, thorough, friendly, etc..
    4601 37th Ave SW
    Seattle, WA 98126
    (206) 938-3972

Oh, I abhor car problems…I have a new2me car that I just acquired last year and I pulled up to get a pizza and jumped in ready to speed away, and when I turned the key…click click…only all the lights still came on. So, I freaked out. Which helped. Some cute guy came to my rescue with jumper cables…I got a jump and was on my way…until the next morning. But, all was better when another cute boy helped with the new battery…and then my fantastic mechanic did the rest…for a couple dozen home made cookies…now cookies I can do!!

8. stfu? nfw. says:

Sounds like a battery problem to me.

We just had to switch B’s battery out. How’d we find out it needed to be changed? I ran it down listening to This American Life while he was inside Lowe’s getting a piece of lumber cut. Oops.

9. Julie Pippert says:

Oh yeah…let the pros handle it.

How did you switch from Anthony to Thomas? (Although I agree with your assessment, LOL.)

10. Type (little) a says:

OMG, I’m having flashbacks to my bad “car-ma” as you out it back in the fall.

Suck Suckity Suck Suck Sucks.

Glad to hear from you I was wondering what you were up to.

11. Sparkling Red says:

Cars, driving, breakdowns, traffic… it’s all so stress-inducing!

Thank you, public transit. I don’t even have my driver’s license.

i LOVE anthony bourdain!! sometimes I think you and I were the wonder twins in another life or something.

a

13. Knowledge of car-fixing elludes me too.

Hope it’s nothing big.

14. Oh, The Joys says:

Thomas sucks the life out of me.

15. pinkpuffysleeves says:

OH MY GOSH. I found your site from dooce.com and you are a riot (I leave my kids in the running car while I go to bars too, its really the best way to go). šŸ™‚ Hope your car is fixed now. I hate cars. Why can’t they just START when I tell them to and STOP when I tell them to and use gas and that’s it.

16. My own personal hell is Thomas the Train and I have to watch it EVERY SINGLE DAY for fear that my wee minion will rebel and chaos will ensue.

And sorry about the car, there are few things more annoying than car trouble.

That does really suck. Hope you got it taken care of!