patriot games

Today I spent the entire day cooped up in a hot room downtown, waiting for my juror number to be called. This is the second time in five years I have been hit with jury duty summons, so I’m doubting this is random. This is what I get for voting. Maybe Big Brother knew that this is a hectic week of deadlines and project plans so they lured me downtown with promises of $10/day paychecks and a chance to live out my Law and Order fantasy. How did they know that’s what I call my left and right biceps?

Also, the wifi was spotty which prevented my access to blogger. Maybe Big Brother decided to give me some hours to work on the next great American novel or draft a business plan which would disappoint me after all these years of hyper-surveillance, wouldn’t they know that I would just fill a notebook with biting comments about my fellow jurors? Like the woman who sat next to me, reading the encyclopedia of golf or the man on my left who looked like a human Ewok. I wanted to tell him that he could get out of jury duty if he explained that he really lived on Endor because that’s outside of King County.

i am a giant!

I present you with this photo from the weekend. We dropped Nathan at my brother’s for an overnight stay and so we were finally able to have a real date that did not involve my cutting anyone’s meat or cheering someone on for eating peas. We ate at Ama Ama in West Seattle where I fashioned a tiny lamb slider into a perfect illustration of how I am really a giant!

We also watched 10,000 BC and half-way through this boring Quest for Fire rip-off, I asked Mike, “How old were you when this movie was made?” And that was the highlight of the entire film.

So I ask you, dear internet friend, about your jury selection woes. I’m curious and I promise I won’t judge.

Comments

1. You mean, you didn’t cheer your husband on for eating peas? Odd that. 😉

2. Julie Pippert says:

Oooh the lovely Time Out.

Jury duty? I was (along with the rest) stationed in a hall outside a meeting room at the courthouse where they attempted to get a man to plead to his crime. It worked.

Apparently gangs of people, even suited up business-like adults, are very intimidating.

3. Mayberry says:

I served on a jury and you know, it kinda was like a L&O fantasy. Complete with a little old lady describing her use of handcuffs.

4. I have only been called to jury duty once and it was sooooooooo boring. And I didn’t even like my job back then.

That’s a super cute photo.

5. I have never received a notice to serve on jury duty, but I really want to!

6. I was part of a Jury pool here on Saipan. Half the jurors were unemployed. When it was time to deliberate we came to a unanimous decision within half an hour. However, no one wanted to call the bailif and give him our decision because they wanted the full day pay and the free lunch at the Hyatt…and, they said if we came back the next day to deliberate, even if we gave our decision within the first 10 minutes, we would still get paid….I just kept quiet and went along cause I wasn’t about to disagree with half of the Tanapag Tarzan boys .

I’ve never gotten to be on a jury and have always wanted to. I picture myself sitting beside John Cusack like in the Runaway Jury or witnessing something great in court like when Johnny Cochran said, “If the glove does fit, you MUST acquit.” But I’m sure none of that would happen and it would be more like a bad episode of The Practice where I would be questioned by Camryn Manheim.

8. I was called for Jury Duty the day before Thanksgiving 2006. That meant I only had to go in one day, hooray! I wasn’t selected for anything, I sat and blogged from my phone and read a book for 5 hours until they released us early due to the holiday.

I was called again for January 2nd of 2008, but since it was the first day of Winter Quarter, I wrote in with my excuse and didn’t hear back from them. I bet they’ll call me back for August, when I’ll be gone.

9. Marianas Pride says:

Do what I do. Nod ur head a lot and play with ur pda or blackberry n keep it low so u don’t get caught. It is a great time to text ur friends and browse the net n download the latest games. When it comes to deliberation, just vote guilty. 9 out of 10 times they are…

P.S. I’m kidding. 😉

10. it’s super easy to get out of jury duty here. most of the time you can just call the night before and find out you don’t have to appear.

11. willikat says:

sadly, it’d probably be a good use of my time since i’m currently unemployed….

12. I just got a notice in the mail about a week ago calling me for jury duty. It even came with a FAQ for newbies like me. Apparently they don’t pay you anything for your time and trouble unless you serve for more than 10 days. And they don’t cover travel expenses unless you are more than 40km (25 miles) from the court. Canada be po!

13. Ah! Lonnie and I BOTH just got our first jury duty summons ever within two weeks of each other. WEIRD! And while we are not ones to shirk our civic duty, um, now is a Really Bad Time for us both. Luckily for me, the “I am about to explode with twins all over your courtroom” card was enough to let me off the hook, for now at least. Ha.

14. Mamacita Chilena says:

I have a great jury duty story…my mom did jury duty for a big case. And I mean BIG. It was the most crazy murder to ever happen in Wyoming, MI. The trial stretched on for months and my mom had to listen to people take the stand and talk about blood spatter patterns and all kinds of gory stuff. Then, at the end of the trial, you how they have 13 juries just in case someone gets sick but only 12 deliberate? My mom drew the short straw and she didn’t get to deliberate. She said she was relieved though. This was when I was like 16.

Even crazier, the other day I was watching a forensic science show and that case came on and they talked about how they proved the guy guilty in the trial. I was watching the same case my mom juried for in Michigan on cable t.v. in CHILE. How nuts is that!?!?!?!?!?!

15. stfu? nfw. says:

I have never been called for jury duty in all of my 35 years of life. I’m kind of jealous.