Wenatchee

Our family took a roadtrip to Wenatchee, Washington this weekend because Mike had a convention to attend. Nathan was feeling a little sick before we left but we decided to go anyway and let him sleep on the road. Traveling despite children’s illness is a long family tradition of mine. When I was seven, I caught the chicken pox right before my family headed off to Disneyworld and we traveled cross-country anyway. It wasn’t until years later that I found out that some normal, caring families actually cancel their vacations when the youngest falls ill instead of saying, “Hey, why don’t we let Mona leave her germs in every motel room and Denny’s from Salem, Oregon to Florida?”

I learned from a certain friend of mine that Wenatchee is also called “Wet Snatchee,” and that some people call it “The Snatch.” I am appalled that someone has perverted the good name of this Central Washington town and even more appalled that I didn’t think of it first.

While Mike spent the day at the conference, Nathan and I pillaged the local scene. People were extraordinarily nice to me. I was not prepared for this. I live in Seattle where eye-rolling and “tsssh” are commonplace and I hate it when I’m on the bus and I can feel the bodyheat of the person next to me. So when the woman at the coffee shop told me to have a nice day, I wanted to grab her shoulders and shake her profusely while yelling, “I am obviously a woman of color! You ask me right now where I am from! Where I am ‘really from’! And then when I say ‘Saipan’ you tell me that I speak English ‘real good’! DO IT!”

We met the Mayor of Wenatchee. For being the first Pacific Islander to ever visit the apple capital of the world, he gave me the key to the city. Okay, that was a lie. It was really the key to the city’s janitorial closet and he told me to clean up, you damn dirty ape!

oh no you guys

And speaking of cleaning up, Mike always makes the bed before we check out of a hotel. While I have never Amy Winehoused a room (I don’t bite the hand that gives me HBO and continental breakfast for free), I think the room fee gives me carte blanche to forgo bedmaking tasks. Do you have any traveling rituals?

my dream kitchen

Nathan and I drove out of town to Apple Annie Antique Gallery. I’ve decided that when I win the lottery, I’m going to drop bank at an antique mall, only I’m not interested in Charles and Diana commemorative plates or antique candy machines, I want the 1993 fall line from United Colors of Benetton, first editions of The Babysitters Club series, all the Nickelodeon cartoons I grew up watching (NOOZLES!), and if I have any money left, I’d like some Grossville High trading cards. What gems from your childhood would you buy?

After the antique hunting, Nathan and I found a swingset and my poor son let me know how desperately emo his life had become. For his second birthday, he wants an HR Geiger poster, clove cigarettes and an utter hatred for consumerism. They sell that last one at Target.

How was your weekend?

Comments

1. Tessie says:

CROSS COLORS. Did you have Cross Colors? The Benetton thing reminded me of that. Also, Hypercolor and No Fear shirts.

Do you remember a show that was on HBO or Showtime called “Ready or Not” and it dealt with first kisses, periods and anorexia??? The main characters were named Busy and something else…Tell me, do you REMEMBER?!

3. 1. Central Washington never quite gives me the grin that Nathan is displaying.

2. That CorningWare at Apple Annies does.

4. kirida says:

Tessie: No, I don’t remember Cross Colors, but I had sooo many No Fear shirts!

Candyqueen: It was on Showtime and their names were Busy and Amanda. It was sooo awesome.

Drew: I wanted it, but it was 80 bucks for FOUR BOWLS!

5. Nathan is TOO CUTE!!

Oh, I don’t know WHAT I would buy. I’ll have to think about that one.

Oh my gosh, I thought my husband was the only one in the world who makes the bed in a hotel (you’re actually creating more work for them because they have to pull the sheets off to wash them).

Other strange rituals that he always does is cleaning the table at the restaurant and stacking all the plates up into a stack for the waitress and the one thing that really cracks me up is when he leaves the tip, he fans all the dollar bills into a perfect fan (like the waiter is going to miss seeing one of the dollar bills and cuss you out).

7. Sounds like a fun weekend in Wet Snatchee. You ought to head over to Eastern Washington and give my hometown the Dry Shitties a try 🙂

8. kirida says:

JenK: I am stealing that.

9. audrey says:

I always put suitcases and stuff in the closet before leaving the hotel room for the day. I was appalled the first time I stayed with someone who just left their clothes and shit all over the place. I know the maid service is there to clean up, but that doesn’t mean we can’t move our crap out of their way.

10. stfu? nfw. says:

I can’t believe I missed this.

B is from Wenatchee. I’ll have to ask him if he ever heard of it being called The Snatch. Also, MIL *loves* Apple Annie’s. I’ve never been there. Next time you’re out that way, stop by the Anjou Bakery. Nom, Nom, Nom, for sure.