what rhymes with vegan

This new vegan lifestyle I’ve taken has been much better than I thought it would be. I haven’t had any crazy desires to break into the nearest Denny’s and grab the collar of the patron wolfing down the Grand Slam breakfast, screaming, “LET ME SMELL YOUR BACON BREATH, MAN!” Even though that would be weird because Denny’s is open 24 hours a day and I’m sure I would be appeased if I calmly walked in, approached anyone at the counter and said, “Excuse me, dear sir. I noticed that you ordered both the bacon strips and the sausage links. Could you please breathe in my direction?” I would probably successful if I implied there would be a hand-j involved. WHAT?

Some days are easier than others. This weekend, I really missed fried chicken, fried rice, and sweet and sour chicken. Especially since I watched my husband eat all those dishes. But save for those meat mournings, I’ve accepted that this is the way it is. It’s like no matter how many times I watch Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, I will never get my wimpy sedan to gun up to those speeds. My issues with food are my own. Other people can eat fried chicken and potato salad without bloating to the size of Kathie Lee Gifford’s deluded ego. I can accept that.

Thank you so much for the support. I am on the hunt for recipes that taste enough like my old carnivorous life, so I won’t be crying into my bowl of couscous and planning a funeral for all the foods I used to eat.

What isn’t hard is watching my son at the local wading pool, going beserk whenever he runs into the water.

this is what water does to my son

Comments

1. Mayberry says:

You are so lucky I don’t live anywhere near Seattle. I would snatch that kid right up!

Anyhoo. My brother & SIL are vegans and my mom found a great cookbook to use when they visit her. It’s called Tofu Cookery and it has tons of you’d-never-know-it-was-tofu recipes.

2. all i can say is, i’m impressed. the southern, fat, black woman in me could never ever give up meat. i think there’s a law against it

3. The Wife says:

I’m quite proud of you too! I’ve been a vegetarian for 10 years now and it’s awesome! Here’s one of my favorite Vegan recipes to prove it.

Summer Soup
    Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil until it’s soft.
    Add 2 quarts of tomatoes in juice.
    Add veggie stock if you want it soupier…I like it thick.
    Add in some chopped carrots, celery, okra, green beans, corn, asparagus, peas, mushrooms, whatever vegetables you like (I use frozen for some of them, but you can also use fresh).
    Add some salt, pepper, oregano, bay leave, thyme (the herbs you like best).
    Let the whole pot simmer until the veggies are tender. Then serve it over rice (my husband likes short grain so that’s what we use, but you could just as well use long grain, jasmine or basmati and it would be just as good).

I keep thinking this soup would be awesome with the addition of something creamy like soy milk or faux sour cream…so if you try it and it’s good, let me know. I’m planning on making it later on this summer.

4. This is awesome Mona – I’m jealous of your will power. I would have turbo gourged on the nearest fast food joint by now. Go you!!

5. Pickles & Dimes says:

I am impressed by your willpower. Good for you.

And I LOVE Nathan’s expression in that 2nd pic – cracks me up.

6. Anonymous says:

Those picture of your son totally made my day, What a cutie-pie!!!

7. RaynVic says:

I was a vegan for about a year, I never felt better, almost went bankrupt though:-) I never cooked, always went to this place called Down to Earth, and bought from their buffet. I do have recipes though I’ll email you when I find them.

8. willikat says:

oh man, that FACE! he is so cute. i have no vegan recipes, but i am obsessed with two things: trader joe’s gyoza sauce, and also trader joe’s soyaki sauce. maybe to use with tofu?

9. Patreesha says:

In NY there’s a restaurant that serves “Sweet and Sour Sensation” — it’s battered and fried soy protein with a sweet and sour sauce. To me, I can hardly tell the difference between the soy and the real deal!

Call me Google P., but I found a restaurant in Seattle that reportedly serves a great Sweet & Sour “fake” chicken.

I like to go to restaurants like that, get ideas, then try to copy them.

Glad to hear it’s going well! And what a cutie your son is. 🙂

10. like a library book says:

check out mangopowergirl.com – lots of good vegan/veg recipes !

god Nathan is cute !!

11. Heza Hekele says:

Great pictures! What personality!

Every time my hawaiian vegan sister tries to convince me of the advantages to not eating animal, I tell her she is making me crave steak. She has almost stopped trying to convince me…

12. Schmutzie says: