what changes everything

I’ve had a few posts drafted up, but whenever I’ve opened them to hit publish, I’ve felt rather fake because how can I tell you about things like spending time 300 feet in the air, surveying an old growth forest or paying a neighborhood kid five bucks to wash my car when there are important stirrings in the Chez Mona, so here goes.

Mike and I are going to have another baby.

BUT WAIT!

I’m not pregnant. Yet.

This is a weird climatic and then anti-climatic post of mentioning pregnancy without the whole being with child part, but it’s a huge move for us, figuring that only a few weeks ago we were staunch one-child-only-folks-like-China-but-only-USA!-USA!-USA!

We have decided that it’s time to have another child, time for Nathan to have a brother or sister. Maybe interacting with a small human will help him stop bodyslamming the cats and treating them like toys that move.

I don’t even know how some people can hold off on talking about pregnancy, (JONNIKER! JEN!) when there is so much to say and I am not even pregnant yet. I still have the IUD firmly implanted and there are no DIY instructions for removal (you fail me google), so the next available appointment is mid-September. I hate that my obstetrician’s office doesn’t keep special hours for people who want to have babies right away because isn’t that their business? Why make me wait almost three weeks when I want to have babies now! I’m regretting that I went with the Mirena and not the copper IUD because at least with a copper version I can take it to some shady metal-peddler and get like three dollars for it. Cash money, son!

There’s some time before the babymaking can commence, and in the meantime I am filled with bizarre, non-tangential questions what if we had a boy? Could I fulfill my fantasy of naming a child Elroy, like George’s boy in The Jetsons? That way, if people ask why we chose Elroy and was it because of that cartoon, I would scoff this remark with, “No! It celebrates his Spanish heritage. His name is El Roy.”

Or will my mothering-fu handle another child? I use my son’s shirt to wipe my hands. Sometimes I’ll tell Nathan to press the elevator button because he loves buttons and I’m not going to press it–do you know how germy those buttons are? Blech.

As crazy as this sounds, having another baby makes sense. Nathan was a wonderful baby and has grown into a bright light that constantly shines its awesomeness on me–whenever he’s not trying to walk without bending his knees while we’re crossing the street. And all this excitement has clouded my head this week, so much that it’s hard to type anything other than, OMG YOU GUYS!

Comments

1. Holy smokes! That’s awesome you can make that kind of decision and talk about it with such candor and clarity. I hope the baby-making process goes … smoothly (or rough, if that’s how you like it!), and that it happens quickly! Hurrah! How exciting!

2. how fantastic!! and exciting!

can’t wait to share in your journey!

3. AIEEE! This is so, SO exciting. So pumped.

4. Type (little) a says:

YAY! For trying! We’re trying too. Maybe we can be pregnant together, and be all competitive and shit. Like “fundal height 19 cm, beat that sucka!”

We totally could.

PS- I had 2 copper IUDs and all I got was a pain the the vagina. YMMV. šŸ™‚

5. Fiona Picklebottom says:

That’s FANTASTIC! So exciting! My husband and I have decided EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE. No more babies. But then, we have four, so you know… that’s enough for us. Though it’s not like we’re taking any actual STEPS toward that goal or anything. All components are still set in the ON position, I just try to AVOID his component at certain times.

GO YOU! and Mike! Good luck with all that this entails. šŸ™‚

We just had the talk again, shortly after 2 sisters of 4 and 7 stayed with us for 3 weeks, played beautifully with our child but not so pleasantly with each other. We will be standing by our one.

If you have a girl, can we take her camping as a friend for E? lol

7. Good for you guys! Siblings may fight sometimes (not mine, of course), but they also have built-in friends.

Have fun making the baby šŸ˜‰

I am so happy for you šŸ™‚ But I hope it’s a girl!

9. OMG MONA!

So excited for you.

10. So. Exciting!!!! I’m so happy for you!

Also…. I think we might be trying soon too. Maybe. hopefully.

I just have to make Travis think we’re getting a puppy and then when he’s not looking hand him a baby instead.

Well…congratulations! I mean, for making the decision…I know what you mean about making up your mind and realizing you want something and then you have to wait for an appointment…I need new glasses, so I’m right with you. Only new glasses aren’t quite as important as a baby…

12. Yay!!!!! I’m so excited for ya’ll!

Good luck!

13. yay mona!!

14. OMG!!

15. skiplovey says:

Wow! and Yay! That’s so exciting. Take care of that pesky IUD and get to it girl!

This sucks.

Just kiddin’. I wanted to sound different from everyone else, but I will say that you’re an incredible Mom with an awesome little boy so I’m sure you’ll handle another one just fine.

17. My sister just got off the pill three nights ago, second baby coming and she’s going through the same thing. Congratulations, take time making that baby!

18. YAAAAAY!!! more baby!!!!

gah, i hate how long it takes to get dr’s appointments these days…! maybe you should do a lot of practicing while you’re waiting so you’ll know what to do when the IUD does come out šŸ˜‰

19. All I can say back is OMG! YAY! OMG! Hooray for the Chez Mona!

20. Christina77 says:

Oh Mona! That’s so awesome!!! Now if you can just convince me that #2 is a great idea – I’m there with you. My boy is a few months younger than Nathan – and I’m starting to feel like he needs a sib too but oh so nervous because..ACK. Two? Eeks!

21. FunnyGal KAT says:

Oh, that’s awesome! And I totally understand the excitement because my stomach does a little flip anytime my husband mentions babies (just in passing conversation, not even in an “OK, I’m ready” kind of way!)

Congratulations on being pre-pregnant!

22. Hurray! Now you will have TWO shirts that you can wipe your hands on. Unless of course you end up like me with THREE shirts to wipe your hands on. That second baby thing turned out to be a second and third baby thing for me. I make the twins share outfits to offset the cost. They fight over who gets to wear pants, but everyone gets their own shoes. I’m not a monster.

Good luck Mona. It’s going to be awesome!

23. Yahoooooooo!

Totally stoked for you Mona. Totally.

24. Mamacita Chilena says:

WOW. That’s really exciting! I can’t wait to read your hilarious blog describing the adventures of being pregnant…it’s sure to be a good read. šŸ™‚

25. Very cool! šŸ™‚

26. Awww, Mona! A BABY! Another BABY! BABY BABY BABY!

How exciting.

27. Yay!!!

28. stfu? nfw. says:

You know, I kind of wondered about it when you said Nathan was going to be your one-and-only. I am feeling like Kathryn could be my one and only too… but in my heart of hearts, I wonder if that means I am Just Not Ready to entertain the thought of #2 yet. In any case, how exciting. I hope Nathan doesn’t body slam the baby and treat him/her as a toy that moves. šŸ˜‰

(that and I still weigh the EXACT SAME as I did when I had her)

29. Good luck!

30. Mona! Yay! Baby numero dos! I’m totally excited for you guys. šŸ™‚

YAY! That’s such a big decision.

I am currently trying to not die from the cuteness of my nephew. I love having a baby around right now. šŸ™‚ It’s even made me start to kinda-sort-maybe plan to be able to afford to have one of my own in the future. But you are sworn to secrecy on that. Don’t you dare tell my family. šŸ™‚

32. how the hell did I miss this?!? congrats on the new plan! I am looking forward to some hilarious pregnancy posts….