my new (to me) kitchen aid mixer

kitchen aid!

I recently twittered as to whether or not a kitchen aid mixer was worth the investment. All the responses were a positive amen sistah girl, so I decided to buy one. I found this one at a yard sale and I haggled my way down to $20 dollars, which saved me whatever these models cost now minus twenty bucks. I love dessert but I hate math.

kitchen aid!

It’s an older model, #KS55 if you’re curious. It came with all the attachments, the whisk, the dough hook and the mixer-a-bob. I’m sure these will all unlock my secret pastry prowess. It’s called a Kitchen Aid, not a Mona-You-Have-This-Covered.

kitchen aid!

It’s heavy, shiny, and real. It’s white, so maybe I can dress it up with a doily or Lisa Frank stickers? My aunt would knit cozies for everything even toilet tissue rolls. TP! Who needs to keep that warm or let alone, cozy?

The only question I have now is, what to make? Do you a cookie or cake recipe that I have to try?

Comments

omg! I think this is the same one I have, only mine is stainless steel! I got it for $250 and that was the refurbished price!!! The best cookies I ever made were these: http://asweetfantasy.blogspot.com/2008/03/oatmeal-raisin-sandwich-cookies.html

Also, Martha Stewart has a ‘cookie of the day’ everyday on her website and I have her giant cookie book, so we could get together with both our mixers and make ’em all!

2. $20 is a total steal!

3. YOU got a smoking deal on that ok ok ok ok make these

Time: 45 minutes (for 1 6-cookie batch), plus at least 24 hours’ chilling

2 cups minus 2 tablespoons

(8 1/2 ounces) cake flour

1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour

1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt

2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter

1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract

1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content (see note)

Sea salt.

1. Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

4. Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen 5-inch cookies.

4. Holy WOW that is a deal! The first thing I would make with a KitchenAid would be… homemade marshmallows!

5. To start I would buy a pint of blueberries, then I would make fresh whipping cream in it because there is NOTHING better than homemade fresh whipped cream. I have stolen hearts with heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla.

6. Yous is very similar to my fire engine red kg25h7xer Mixinator. Woo! Basically, you should be asking yourself, “What CAN’T I make in my KitchenAid???”

I have made bread, cookies, pasta, ice cream fixings, whipped cream, muffin mix, sauces, egg whites, etc. Anything you need mixed with air incorporated, these workhorses can, and will, do.

And the thingie-a-ma-bob is called the flat paddle.

7. like a library book says:

DAMN girl – that’s exactly the one I have. Great deal for $20. I love mine.

I got one this weekend too!!!!! But judging by your lack of exclamation points, I’d say I’m a little more excited about it. 🙂 Mine is still in the box – it’s not coming out until I need to bake because the person who gave it to me said something about it being a “kitchen fixture” and “something you just leave on the counter. all the time.” So now I apparently have to get rid of something to display my KAM which is apparently a work of art. I dislike such changes.

That really is a steal, though – I’m jealous that mine was a gift and not a super great buy. Because I REALLY like getting good deals – it would have double my exclamation points for sure.

Oh!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. I use it at least twice a year. But…it’s red shiny goodness makes up for that, as it sits in my kitchen making me look all bakerish and whatnot.

Honestly though? ANYTHING you make with a Kitchen Aid is just wonderful…and fun. And it makes twice the mess than a set of beaters (just kidding…mostly)

10. damn you practically got that for FREE LOL! i got mine for nearly $300 and it’s PURPLE! i don’t have any recipes on hand right now, sorry!

11. Wow! that is a total deal. I got mine as a birthday gift and it’s blue. I love it!!!! I make tamales mendioka and comes out perfect each time. I can’t find my recipe book at this time. I know you will love your KAM njoy! 🙂

12. Pickles and Dimes says:

$20?!? Hell of a deal.

For some reason, I imagine you wearing a pink poodle skirt while using this. (I love the color!)

13. OOOOOOOOOOH PRETTY!!!! color me highly jealous…

14. I’m drooling! You know how to shop, girl. OK, I was going to give you a link to my delicious.com cookies tag page…but I’ll narrow it down to, the Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World. Seriously. http://wordstoeatby.blogspot.com/2004/12/best-homemade-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

15. plumeria*girl says:

WOW! $20 is a steal for something like that…old or new. Those things run between $250-$300 (depending on what kind of extra peices you want with it).

I come from a family of bakers, but believe it or not, I don’t have one of these. Maybe it’s because Floyd won’t get me an oven because he knows I’d be baking up a storm in this house! Then comes the CUC bill…YIKES!!!

16. Anonymous New York says:

That is the best. deal. ever. KA mixers are one of those things that most bakers will save from their burning houses right after husbands, kids and pets. Sometimes before. I have all kinds of recipes on my blog. I lurve my KA mixer.

Your mixer is so pretty! I can’t tell if it’s white or pink but I like it either way.

This is the best chocolate cake recipe you’ve ever tasted:

18. Para i familiaku says:

OMG, what a STEAL! I bought mine for over $300, but it is worth every penny! My favorite thing to make is whipped cream, and marshmallows!

19. Mango Power Girl says:

$20?????????! if you ever get tired of mixing & decide to re-sell…drop me line 😉 covered in stickers would be cool, too!

20. Congratulations Mona, you’re a grown-up! Seriously though, I love that appliance more than air. I make EVERYTHING in mine. EVERYTHING. Even meatloaf.

21. Nice deal! I got you beat though. I got one at a garage sale today for $10. Its a KS55 with 2 mixing bowls and 3 attachments, but it didn’t work. They said they tried to fix it, but couldn’t. I turned the brushes around on the side of the mixer and it works fine. LOL Their kid must have pulled out a brush (black screws on each side) and put it back upside down.