spin doctor

Yesterday, my friend Rachel and I took an hour-long spinning class. I was a bet intimidated because the class description said, “Intermediate to advanced level,” and the only category where I fit in as intermediate to advanced is my stage of diabetes. (And FYI: I always cringe when people pronounce it “dia-bee-tess” instead of “dia-bee-tees.” Yeah, I’m looking at YOU, Wilford Brimley!)

The class was intense. It wasn’t filled with the “I’m just going for fun!” crowd. These people were serious cyclists who chatted about what they were training for or how awesome their pecs looked in stretchy Italia shirts. I bet they meet on the weekends and bounce quarters off their ab ripples and then growl, “Go ahead and punch me in the stomach! It doesn’t hurt!” Then after that, they make cootie catchers and discuss how Mary Anne of The Babysitters Club never deserved Logan.

The bike seats were extremely painful. I would have had more comfort sitting on an upright broom or the business end of a hammer. Maybe that’s why cyclists are so pissed on when I’m walking on their trails since they scream at me, “ON YOUR LEFT! NO, YOUR OTHER LEFT!”

Vote for Mike!

So while I’m sitting on softer surfaces, let me ask, how was your weekend?

Comments

1. Leeanthro says:

I hate it when people mispronounce it, too!

Spinning classes can be very intense. Too much for me and my exercise-induced asthma!
    Though I did find one for a while that did 30 minutes of spin and 20 minutes of yoga stretching- very nice!

2. I did a 20 mile bike ride yesterday, and I am NOT a cyclist (it was for charity). It was intense, but luckily, my legs aren’t too sore today. But I swear to god, my ass is bruised from being on that seat for so long. Bruised, I tell you!

Grr. OK, I was really disappointed in the music at that class. Spinning really can be so much more fun with an awesome playlist. I’d do it again though if you want. Our asses will will build up a tolerance to the pain!!!

Also, the kick-boxing for sure is fun cuz I’ve taken from their instructors before. So let’s do that one night 🙂

4. wow, i am super-impressed. i go to kickboxing, weight lifting, yoga, and pilates classes at my gym… but i’m terrified of spinning. they all look so INTENSE. eek.

5. Pickles and Dimes says:

I voted for Mike – I hope he wins!

Also, I purposely mispronounce diabetes whenever I have to go turn on the bathroom faucet for the cats to drink from – AGAIN. “What, you guys have the Diabeeeeeeteeeeees?”

Just wait till tomorrow.. the ass pain will be intense. LOL.

This weekend I kept a winery in business, rocked the vote, went to a kid’s b-day party and then watched my favorite shows last night, True Blood and Entourage.

I keep meaning to try a spin class but I agree with the poster who said they just look soooo intense! Can’t they enjoy themselves a bit and make it look a little harder? Then I might go back… 🙂

I HOPE your ass hurts – then it’s working!

anne

8. WestSide! says:

I am way too competitive. If I ever do a spinning class I will want to be up front because then I know I will cross the finish line first.

9. Mamacita Chilena says:

Intense is definitely the only word to describe spin class. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it’s the only place in Chile I’ve ever seen a Chilean woman sweat, and that’s saying a LOT.

10. Hey “pickles and dimes” – thanks for the vote – I really appreciate it! You rock. And as for spin claas, I’ve never been mad enough at my ass that I would do that to it.

11. Anonymous says:

Hi,

I’m H. and I work in a company interested in blog advertising. I found your blog engaging and I’m contacting you to ask if you are interested in blog post sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back at k5sino@bigstring.com, indicating your blog for reference, and I’ll send you back pricing details, guidelines and processes. Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

H.

12. They say after a few classes you sit bones “calcify” now there is a scary ass word you don’t want associated with your privates!

13. omg diabetess. seriously.

14. omg doesn’t your butt go numb? mine does. from the spinning.

and i totally laughed out loud at cootie catchers and mary anne from the babysitters club. why did logan date her? she was so boring!