awesomeness, in numbers

1. I did not lose any money in Reno. I also did not bet anything while I was there which was very difficult because you could gamble everywhere! You could play Keno at the dining table and from what I could tell, KENO IS VERY BORING. I would have played a slot machine, but none of the machines allowed me to just plunk in a quarter, I had to stand in line and put money in a Player’s Club card and then I could go about my gambling ways. TOO MUCH WORK! I need to lose my money in a more efficient way, like at the dollar bin at Target or throwing it out the window of a moving car.

2. During the conference, I found myself talking to an older man about some of the speakers when he interrupted me with, “You’re a really attractive lady.” I laughed and thanked him for the compliment but what I should have done was kiss him on his pepaw mouth because thanks to him, I figured out why I love older men: the poorer the eyesight, the more good-looking I become. It’s like being with someone who wears beer goggles all day!

3. I also tried Coors Light for the first time. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but that might be because it only cost $1.50 as opposed to a $9 jack and coke. This economy is causing me to say goodbye to my precious whiskey in favor of what Mike calls “cowboy piss.” Sad times!

4. The most awesome news came in yesterday while I was in a conference session: MIKE HICKEY IS THE NEW POET POPULIST!

Yes! Thanks to you, my husband is Seattle’s new rockstar poet. We have been levitating since the results were announced. My husband is a tireless teacher who works hard for both educators and students. I cannot tell you how many weekends and evenings he has sacrificed grading papers or preparing lesson plans. Many nights I can hear him taping away on the computer downstairs, answering emails, putting out fires, and working long after his wife and son are already in bed.

Mike will be a phenomenal Poet Populist and I hope you come and hear him read him at Hugo House this Friday night at 7 PM. In the meantime, you can check out the wonderful coverage at West Seattle Blog, SCCtv and the Seattle Times.

Comments

Do you think there will be any smart, cute, single guys at the Hugo House on Fri? If so, count me in.

2. I want to be in the acceptance speech. JJ, congrats Mona’s man.

YAY! Congratulations to Mike! 😀

4. Yes! Writers are the new musicians.

5. YAY! Wow that’s so exciting!

6. So exciting Mona!! and Mike!! Congratulations!!

7. YAY MIKE!!

Well congratulations to everything but the beer…beer is hardly ever a reason to celebrate. Unlike going to Target and throwing hard earned dollars away…

9. yaaaaaaay! Congratulations, Mike! I’ve been wondering what happened–such great news!

10. Kate @ Life As I Live It says:

Congrats to Mike! That’s awesome.

And wasn’t there a better beer for you to drink than Coors Light?? Ick, says the girl who thinks Guinness makes a great breakfast.

11. shirley eugist says:

YEE HAWWWWW!!!!!!!

That’s the second election I’ve been happy about this week!

12. That is excellent for your husband! Congratulations Mike!

I’ll be looking for your name now around the Sound!

13. I am so excited for you and Mike! I voted for him mostly because of your hater ex-boss but I really did like the poem I read on the page I voted for him on.

Congrats!!!

14. Mamacita Chilena says:

I don’t really understand what that is, but congrats to Mike!!! I feel I had a hand in it because even though you said people abroad couldn’t vote, I did anyways…and it worked! That makes me think maybe my special Chile vote counted extra because it was so sneaky.

15. Whoo-hoo! Yay Mike!

16. YAAAAY! congrats to mike!!!

17. Congratulations to Mike. He completely and totally deserved it. I know this is your blog but I’d love if you posted poems here or there. 🙂